On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Nicolas Fortin <geoto...@nettrader.fr>
wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> Some additional comments on Erwan's answer.
> Le 06/04/2015 09:13, Andrea Aime a écrit :
>
> Interesting, could you compare that with the GeoTools H2 datastore?
>

>    GeoTools H2 datastore use blob as geometry columns and does not
> include spatial index.

The H2 store has a spatial index, r-tree, implemented as a side table,
courtesy of the hatbox project:
http://hatbox.sourceforge.net/

But I don't think it has many functions, and the project has last made a
release in 2011.

> H2GIS use the new native Geometry columns and spatial index of H2.
> Moreover H2GIS provides all SFS sql functions, geometry constraints and
> file drivers.

File drivers?

> Since you seem to be an expert in H2, I have a question for you. In
> GeoTools and GeoServer we use H2 in
> multiple places, but an old version of it.
> This is mostly because H2 changed the on disk format, and apparently did
> not include an automatic upgrade
> procedure for it... which is a serious problem when users are upgrading
> existing installations.
> Do you know of a way to make the upgrades transparent?
>
>   I think you are talking about the old storage before the PageStore. The
> great issue here is the necessity of embedding two versions of H2, one for
> creating a sql dump of the database and the latest to execute the dump.
> Even if you could achieve that it could failed. There is a discussion about
> that here
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/h2-database/migration%7Csort:date/h2-database/3TuWJfFiQdc/7TGTJB1JEmoJ>.
> As the user may loose some data if its done unnoticed; maybe it is more
> secure to update h2 in a new major version of geotools/geonetwork then warn
> about the database incompatibility.

Eh, that's a major issue, because H2 databases are not exactly in user
visible positions, they are used
internally by the program, often the end users are not even aware of them.
For example, in GWC they are used to store the disk quota database, in
GeoServer to store indexes
for the KML superoverlays, to collect the history of requests in the
monitoring module, or the
GeoServer catalog itself in the database driven catalog module.
People using the GeoServer importer have certain types of data (kml,
geojson, csv) importer by
default into a H2 store if they do not ask.

==
http://goo.gl/NWWaa2 for more information.
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

*AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003*

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.