Hi Andrea

At the moment I do not have the knowledge for a general implementation and
I am sure SQLServer,Oracle and DB2 have some differences. I would prefer to
implement the logic in DB2FilterToSQL. If somebody wants to introduce this
feature for another DB we can move common components to FilterToSQL.

My idea was to enable the logic store wide and apply the logic to all
tables. (You can switch between the geotools and the db temporal model). If
store wide is not possible (API change), I could use the system catalog to
decide.
Store wide is easier to implement, using the system catalog would be more
correct but I am not sure if this is possible. (And if it is, it will be
quite complicated). Another simple approach would be to look at the DB2
version number, if >= 10 use the DB2 model for all tables.

I would prefer the global parameter. If this is not possible I would try
using the version number.

Cheers
Christian

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 2:53 PM, Andrea Aime <andrea.a...@geo-solutions.it>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 2:38 PM, Christian Mueller <
> christian.muel...@os-solutions.at> wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> @Jody. Using DB2 I could detect which tables and columns participate in
>> temporal support. I could implement the logic behind the scenes, no public
>> API change necessary. I only wanted to ask if we should make a concept for
>> all jdbc data stores.
>>

> As far as I can see PostgreSQL has no support for SQL:2011 temporal, SQL
> Server has it only in version 2016,
> could not find anything about MySql, I assume it does not have anything.
> Making it a concept for all stores seems like a good idea... how do you
> ensure your implementation is general
> enough though?
>

>> @Andrea
>> Of course you could have timestamps in tables without the "temporal
>> database/interval of validity" mode. If you want to use the temporal
>> support you have to register the table/columns in the system catalog
>> comparable to geometry columns. I am not an Oracle expert, but I am sure
>> you can find the proper  tables/columns  in the system catalog. There is a
>> special update/delete syntax but it is not necessary to use it.
>>

> So you would enable it store wide, and then the store would apply the
> temporal support only for
> tables that do have temporal support enabled?
>
> Cheers
> Andrea
>
> --
> ==
> GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit
> http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
> ==
>
> Ing. Andrea Aime
> @geowolf
> Technical Lead
>
> GeoSolutions S.A.S.
> Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
> 55054  Massarosa (LU)
> Italy
> phone: +39 0584 962313
> fax: +39 0584 1660272
> mob: +39  339 8844549
>
> http://www.geo-solutions.it
> http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it
>
> *AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003*
>
> Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica e/o
> nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
> loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
> per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
> messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
> darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
> stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
> divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
> utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
> principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.
>

> The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
> [...]

DI Christian Mueller MSc (GIS), MSc (IT-Security)
OSS Open Source Solutions GmbH