Stefano,

Indeed, that makes sense, the optimiser should indeed do the work for you. It's good to see there are vast performance improvements. Good work!

Regards
Niels

On 09/13/2016 10:04 PM, Stefano Costa wrote:
Hi Niels,
we went with the "where exists" subquery approach because it was easier to translate filters to SQL that way. For example, let's think of a filter which is actually a logical combination (OR / AND) of multiple filters; each filter could refer to a completely different feature chain, and thus, one would have to go trough all the filters first to determine the global list of tables that should be joined, and then logically combine the WHERE clauses. Using the subquery approach felt more natural (at least from a human perspective), it allowed us to translate each filter separately and then logically combine the translated SQL fragments in a straightforward way.

Performance-wise, I don't expect a big difference, as optimizers should be smart enough to translate a WHERE EXISTS subquery into a join if needed; I have not done any real performance comparison between the two approaches though.

Does this make sense to you?