Also note that gml:id is only mandatory in GML 3.2.1; it was optional in
GML 3.1.1. gml:id has type xs:ID which forces uniqueness in a single
document. WFS suggests (implies? urges?) that gml:id should be stable
and unique for a service, but there is nothing in GML to enforce this.
There is nothing in GML to prevent each response from using different
gml:ids, as long as they are unique in each response document. The
problem is that there is AFAIK no support for gml:identifier in WFS. It
is nice to have an indentifier that is globally unique; there is no
guarantee that gml:id is.

Kind regards,
Ben.

Ben Caradoc-Davies <b...@transient.nz>