For your specific survey please look at the larger issue of communication,
very important in open source software development.

You will find that the GeoTools project uses a proposal process to organize
large scale refactorings and other api changes, a recent example is
changing the packaging of the library for Java 11 compatibility
<http://geotoolsnews.blogspot.com/2019/01/geotools-java-11-code-sprint-results.html>
.