We had similar challenge when drawing WMS, if I remember we reproject to
wgs84 3D, drop the Elevation, and then reproject from wgs84 to the final 2d
projection.

That is our own assumption to draw 3D data, folks can use function calls as
part of their WFS query to get a similar result can they not?

It may be sensible to ask users to apply a function for such an usual case….

Jody