Hi Peter,
as a rule of thumb, we don't allow customer specific code in the
GeoTools/GeoServer codebase,
if we did, we'd end up accumulating a massive amount of of variants in the
code that would make it
even harder to maintain. The GeoServer changes look like a band-aid, too.

Now, I think I get why you want unique names, but rather than working
around it in GeoServer, couldn't
you have a CSS directive "@uniqueRules" in the CSS, that when used, makes
the CSS translator
generate unique names directly?
Also, again for the "not for one customer" rule, the functionality should
be properly documented
to allow other users to make use of it (how to use it, why it's there).
Try to write this documentation first, and if it's convincing for a wider
audience, then I see no problem in
integrating the changes in the GeoTools CSS module.

Regards,

Andrea Aime

==

Visit http://bit.ly/gs-services-us for more information.
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions Group
phone: +39 0584 962313

fax:     +39 0584 1660272

mob:   +39  339 8844549

https://www.geosolutionsgroup.com/

http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE
2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si
precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo
contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è
riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il
messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra
operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by
European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this
e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please
notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail