I second Beth’s recommendation that we keep the discussion going here. As a
non-ISA member, but a GEP-Ed member for some years, and someone who is
grappling with these issues in other professional societies in which I am
active, this is rich and heady stuff.
The tension and balance between virtual and in-person professional meetings is
getting some research attention, as well. This past winter I read a review of
some largely anecdotal research on professional society goal-fulfillment using
the two forums, and you can guess which was more likely to fulfill the goals:
face-to-face. So it’s important to note the costs not only for us as
individuals but for our organizations. Decisions as to which forum to pursue
have bearing on maintaining and growing our organizations. I haven’t seen any
data on this yet, but I would guess that a move toward online conferencing
would lower meeting costs but would also lower meeting revenues (will academic
publishers, for example, be willing to shell out hundreds or even thousands of
dollars to sponsor what will amount to an ad on a website, as opposed to a
table at conference, where they can sell books, promote course adoptions, and
meet prospective authors? And what of the cost to the professional society of
losing this interaction?). As well, a shift toward virtual conferencing will
likely result in more difficult times for membership recruitment for
professional societies – something many societies are already struggling with.
We already use the internet for all manner of membership recruitment, but have
relatively few forums for backing that up with more tangible psychological
support, much less physical product – mostly, we have journals and conferences.
I share everyone’s sense of the risks of this perspective – by holding
conferences in person, we are not demonstrating the best behavior vis-a-vis
sustainability, at the same time we are decrying the fact that society as a
whole is not active enough on this front. So, it's a multifaceted values
(ethics/economics/ecology/etc.) question: if we choose to continue meeting in
person, are the trade-offs worth it?
Rich Wallace
Ursinus College