Hi everyone,
I am interested in finding books that have been inspirational to others about
what the goals of college-level teaching are, and how to best achieve those
goals.  There has been a lot of debate recently on whether universities are
serving undergraduates well (e.g. "Academically Adrift"), whether to emphasize
content or critical thinking skills, whether we should be entertainers or
demand rigor, and how to best judge educational outcomes.  What I am looking
for here is books from writers who lay out the case for what inspires them to
teach at the college level, and how to view our role as professors, written
from more of the personal and experiential side rather than only laying out
research findings.

Thanks in advance for any good reading suggestions!  If you send them directly
to me I can compile a list and resend.
best,
Lisa

--
Lisa Dilling, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Environmental Studies