Below please find the Call for Proposals for the annual conference of the
Association of Environmental Studies and Sciences (AESS). As President of AESS,
I would like to personally invite you to submit a paper or panel proposal and
join hundreds of interdisciplinary scholars and practitioners for what is
always a stimulating and fun-filled meeting. The AESS 2015 meeting will take
place on the lovely campus of the University of California-San Diego, and will
include an array of field trips and other opportunities to explore this
beautiful part of the world.

I hope to see many of you there! wil

Dr. Wil Burns, President, AESS

Co-Executive Director, Forum for Climate Geoengineering Assessment

A Scholarly Initiative of the School of International Service, American
University

2650 Haste Street, Towle Hall #G07

Berkeley, CA 94720

650.281.9126 (Phone)

 <http://www.dcgeoconsortium.org/> http://www.dcgeoconsortium.org

Skype ID: Wil.Burns

Blog: Teaching Climate/Energy Law & Policy,
<http://www.teachingclimatelaw.org/> http://www.teachingclimatelaw.org

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_BgkJy_-Cn7iMBXGTuYKt5mqoTLtkDLEYKXdxk7MLNR0kZ-d87KCN58-rOvrP4c9Re7E9Vc9CKl7CrRK3ZsEO-tPSaNYS7Myb2_Qy95hNynlvsMqhCHEQ4rp24bV3S-IsIN47snw4GbbIVz9CgoZrmVeYBxYkeInbBo4wWWXssqi43mEwf067DjLEI3FJGtPOFuYkE41DdI=>

AESS 2015 Conference

CALL FOR PROPOSALS NOW OPEN!

We are pleased to invite you to submit a proposal to lead a session at the 2015
annual meeting of the Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences (AESS)
held on 24-27 June 2015 at University of California at San Diego!

AESS is now accepting proposals for individual paper and poster presentations,
as well as proposals for full panels, workshops, discussion symposia, and
mealtime roundtables in which all (or a substantial number of) scholars have
already agreed to participate (see descriptions below).  AESS will make every
effort to group individual presentations together as thematic sessions.

 <http://aess.info/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=939971&module_id=165353>
<http://aess.info/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=939971&module_id=165353>
<http://aess.info/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=939971&module_id=165353>

Proposal deadline: January 16, 2015.

CONFERENCE THEME

The theme for the conference is "Confronting Frontiers, Borders, and
Boundaries."  The conference theme will allow AESS to showcase its
interdisciplinary strengths on this vitally important topic, including such
issues as transboundary pollution, environmental equity and representation,
international connections and collaborations, and teaching across disciplines.
In addition, the theme and location of the conference offer a chance to examine
the health of our oceans and the role of California and other laboratories for
innovative environmental policymaking.

Questions to be explored include:

*       What are the roles of the humanities, social sciences, and natural
sciences in helping to confront boundaries and borders that impede our ability
to address serious environmental problems?  How can interdisciplinary fields
such as Environmental Studies and Environmental Sciences contribute effectively
to these endeavors?
*       Trans-border problems are frequently connected to questions of equity
and social justice. What new perspectives help us address these questions
across different scales or types of borders?
*       What is being explored with regard to environmental degradation issues,
such as air pollution and water pollution, that are trans-boundary and
trans-border?  Are there any updates, for example, on characterizing the
long-range transport of air pollution, such as urban air pollution across the
North Pacific, or African dust across the Atlantic?  Are there case studies of
marine ecosystem pollution and mitigation, and trans-border watershed ecology?
*       What is the current status of international collaborations on
investigating environmental problems on a regional and global scale, such as
joint field projects or workshops?
*       What should the dialogue with our students and the general public look
like in discussing border and boundary issues?
*       What pedagogical approaches are most effective in discussing these
issues?
*       How can we partner with communities, governments, NGOs, the media, to
generate more effective frameworks and solutions to addressing boundary and
border challenges?

As always, we invite proposals that speak to the conference theme or otherwise
advance the mission of AESS: to encourage interdisciplinary approaches to
environmental research, teaching, and problem-solving.

Please visit the AESS 2015 Conference Website
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001_BgkJy_-Cn7iMBXGTuYKt5mqoTLtkDLEYKXdxk7MLNR0kZ-d87KCN58-rOvrP4c9IZruQOc4U0Tst4ldULpAEB4_DFsPtJ3m9Gp2uP42apZ1HPIexxt64fRPkG3Dpn0_1tt-58C_DWkmaYVreuHuhZeqg7veiabnvfaFQNaELeZtDgP_NPa06FkwdFYuEdxP>
  for more information on how to submit a proposal!

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>