I am excited to announce the publication of Keskitalo and Preston's Research
Handbook on Climate Change Adaptation Policy (Edward Elgar Publishing).
https://www.e-elgar.com/shop/research-handbook-on-climate-change-adaptation-
policy

Sophia Chau and I coauthored the chapter on "Adaptation of Ecosystems in the
Anthropocene."  I am pasting the introduction to the chapter below.

All the best,

Debra

INTRODUCTION: THE NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF

CLIMATE CHANGE ON ECOSYSTEMS

The impacts of climate change on ecosystems are severe and often
irreversible,

already threatening one in six known species (Urban 2015). Hundreds

of species have begun shifting their ranges toward the poles or higher

elevations, and spring events are happening earlier and earlier (Parmesan

and Yohe 2003). Shifts in species abundance, distribution, and interactions

are also altering ecosystems and the services upon which humans depend

(Walther et al. 2002). The growing scientific consensus is that we have

entered the Anthropocene: a new geologic era characterized by human

impacts and a related "Sixth Extinction" (Ceballos et al. 2015). Current

extinction rates are now 1000 times higher than natural background rates

of extinction, and future rates are likely to be 10 000 times higher (De Vos

et al. 2015).

We know how to stem this mass extinction: ceasing greenhouse gas

emissions. Despite this knowledge, an influential industry-sponsored

movement dedicated to climate denial persistently obstructs efforts to

reduce emissions, aided by the recalcitrance of high-emitting countries

and the desire of developing countries to claim their fair share of
emissions

(Oreskes and Conway 2010; Jamieson 2014). Even the most optimistic

scientific assessments project continued emissions, "committed warming"

from the greenhouse gases already emitted, and the destruction of species

and ecosystems (Sala et al. 2000; Friedlingstein et al. 2014; Strauss et al.

2015). Other human drivers of biodiversity loss compound the problem,

including habitat fragmentation and destruction, pollution, invasive
species,

desertification, and widespread resource depletion. Minimizing these

other threats can reduce ecological damage (Fischlin et al. 2007). However,

evidence suggests that even the minimization of non-climate stressors may

have little impact on biodiversity loss and ecosystem dysfunction relative

to the enormity of the climate challenge.

Some fortunate species can adapt on their own to the changing climate

through evolutionary adaptation (Hoffmann and Sgro 2011), but many

others have limited adaptive capacity (Parry et al. 2007). Urban
development,

agriculture, and deforestation block potential migration routes, and

species and communities already residing on mountaintops or in the Arctic

have no cooler alternative as the climate warms. When combined with

high exposure and sensitivity to climate change impacts, limited adaptive

capacity makes species and their associated ecosystems vulnerable. Due to

the scale and rate of climate change impacts, many species will not be able

to keep pace with the change through evolutionary adaptation. Future

biodiversity may therefore depend on whether there are non-evolutionary

forms of adaptation for vulnerable species and ecosystems. Can we save

species and ecosystems in a climate-changed world? Are there anthropogenic

solutions to anthropogenic problems?

In this chapter, we search for answers to these questions by reviewing

the literature on natural system adaptations to a changing climate.

Adaptation of natural systems involves deliberate actions by humans

to reduce the vulnerability to climate change of non-human organisms,

populations, and communities, and to preserve interactions among living

organisms and the physical and chemical components of the environment.

We evaluate the promise of traditional conservation practices that are

increasingly being enhanced in response to climate change, as well as novel

strategies invented to address the unprecedented rate and scale of modern

climate change. We find that the outlook for adaptation is bleak, and

that the drastic global reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, however

unlikely, is the biosphere's best and only defense.

*****

Debra Javeline

Associate Professor | Department of Political Science | University of Notre
Dame | 2060 Jenkins Nanovic Halls | Notre Dame, IN 46556 | tel:
<tel:(574)%20631-2793> 574-631-2793

Fellow,  <http://kroc.nd.edu/> Kroc Institute for International Peace
Studies,  <http://nd.edu/~kellogg/> Kellogg Institute for International
Studies,  <http://nanovic.nd.edu/> Nanovic Institute for European Studies

Core faculty,
<http://germanandrussian.nd.edu/russian/faculty/program-faculty/RussianandEa
stEuropeanStudies.shtml> Russian and East European Studies Program

Affiliated faculty,  <http://environmentalchange.nd.edu/> Notre Dame
Environmental Change Initiative