Thank you, Ron, for getting my thinking in gear this morning. I love the
emerging ideas of bartering and a cooperative exchange of speakers. You could
also put your budgets together and record a speaker who then is shared
virtually.BUT, I wonder if you all might consider going beyond form and
logistics, i.e. the HOW of teaching and speakers, to the WHAT? Somewhere I saw
a note about prioritization, but that is just about weeding out and I doubt you
all feel like you had tons of fluff in your classes to begin with.So, my
thinking this morning went off into a whole new direction, taking off from the
"not burden shifting but burden sharing" idea I emailed about earlier.I mean,
for a group like this one assembled on this listservs, doesn't this crisis
raise whole new (or new once again) questions such as:* how does a global
crisis like this affect the conditions for (international) political and policy
cooperation?* how does a pandemic positively and negatively change the
conditions and outlook for environmental policy making and implementation?*
what does precarity mean in global environmental politics?* what can we learn
from this health-cum-economic crisis about the weak spots in our globalized
systems?* how do we make the path to the SDGs more robust to disruption?Oh, I
am sure you all could add fascinating other questions and all of a sudden the
contents of your classes gains a whole new level of immediacy and relevance.
Students will be way more engaged because everyone's brains are already in this
crisis. And because none of us have the answer to this, you may use zoom
classes and discussion fora and assignments as collective thinking and learning
events than just trying to figure out "delivery mechanisms."Heck, universities
could once again be places for true intellectualism and serve society well in
this difficult time.Ok, enough from me in one day. But this was fun! I can
imagine so many variants for any number of classes. The toilet paper case study
will be an utterly real teaching device for oh so many things...SusiSent from
tiny phone. Forgive typos
-------- Original message --------From: Ronald Mitchell <rmitc...@uoregon.edu>
Date: 3/17/20  11:31 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: GEPED <gep-ed@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [gep-ed] just a thought

One other thought on the whole online learning thing – Zoom or other apps for
streaming lectures might be an excellent, low-carbon way to bring in guest
speakers.  We could each
 “trade” guest lectures on our well-known subjects (the lectures we can give in
our sleep), reducing workload of developing lectures for us while giving our
students better content.

I am not offering to coordinate this – just a suggestion in case anyone thinks
it’s a good idea.

Ron

Ronald Mitchell, Professor
Department of Political Science and Program in Environmental Studies
University of Oregon, Eugene OR 97403-1284
rmitc...@uoregon.edu

https://rmitchel.uoregon.edu/

IEA Database Director:
https://iea.uoregon.edu/