Hi Aseem, Hello al,

Thanks for your commentary. It is informative. But I don’t agree with all of
your assessments. Working as co-chair of a committee dealing with high level
radioactive waste management, I can not agree with you that nuclear energy is
the path forward. It also takes much too long to build. European experience
shows that countries that heavily invest in nuclear, are slow to build out
renewables. They are also at risk of big supply problems if they become too
heavily dependent on nuclear.

Germany will most certainly be expanding its renewable energy push. It is
currently getting about 50% of its electricity from renewables (up from 6% in
2000: actually in the first two months of 2022 it has been getting well over
50%). With the Ukraine crisis, the expansion of renewables will be putting into
fast speed. There are still many ways to enhance energy efficiency and energy
savings. Plans are to be climate neutral by 2045 with 65% renewables by 2030.
I think we might now get there as early as 2025 or 2027.

this morning. It is in response to the following statement from five former
Japanese prime ministers criticising the EU’s sustainability taxonomy which
lists both natural gas and nuclear as sustainable
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXNi2gLjxm). I agree with their critique.

My response is attached.

Best, Miranda

Am 26.02.2022 um 20:02 schrieb Aseem Prakash