Dear all,
Please see attached a CfP for the POLLEN24 conference 10-12 june 2024,
organized by Marco Immovilli and myself. We welcome submissions!
Best,
Bram

Biodiversity conservation and the value turn

Panel proposal and CfP for POLLEN 2024: The 5th Biennial Conference of the
Political Ecology Network, 10-12 June 2024, https://pollen2024.com/ | @PolEcoNet

Organised by: Marco Immovilli and Bram Büscher (Sociology of Development and
Change, Wageningen University)

Abstract:

Over the last decade, debates around values of nature have gained great
traction in the field of conservation. Besides important work from political
ecology (Allen, 2018; Büscher & Fletcher, 2020; James & Broome, 2023), this
received impetus through the work of the 2022 Intergovernmental Science-Policy
Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) assessment of the
diverse ways people value nature. In this assessment, IPBES (2022) criticizes
the fetishization of economic values of nature as one of the structural causes
of the current global environmental predicament. In response, IPBES and others
(Pascual, 2023) have suggested an agenda of pluralism and diversity of values
to create space for diverse ways of giving value to nature to co/exist. This
position has created room among mainstream institutions to think of post-growth
and post-capitalist pathways for biodiversity conservation (leading the IPBES
assessment to list degrowth as one possible transformative trajectory for the
first time).

These developments present a salient opportunity for political ecologists to
contribute to these debates. We see two avenues, in particular, that deserve
urgent attention. The first is to build on these development to further push a
deeper understanding and more practical application of post-growth and
alternative values of nature. The second is to discuss the limits of these
approaches and how they are rolled out in more mainstream debates. Most
importantly, these debates fail to incorporate critical discussions of value,
especially those that understand value as a central component of capitalism and
that are critical of a ‘diversity of values agenda’ that eschews capital’s
ultimate drive towards the valorisation of value. A critical take on value can
fill these gaps and push discussions on radical transformations forward.

In this panel, we aim to bridge the gap between critical thought and mainstream
debates on biodiversity conservation and value. We hope to do so by collecting
contributions that critically reflect on the concept of diversity of values of
nature (and more generally on the idea of diversity within capitalism) and on
different ways value can be used to reflect on the relation between capitalism
and the protection of nature. We believe that new understandings of value can
enlighten us on the functioning of biodiversity conservation within late
capitalism. Hence we also welcome contributions that use value as an
emancipatory concept to study alternative ways of living with nature. We
believe that calls for post-growth and post-capitalist ways of living with
nature could profit from an engagement with value as a way to explore their
modes of operation, organization and reproduction.

In sum, we welcome contributions that, among others, touch upon the following
topics:

  *   Critical histories of value theories and approaches within biodiversity
conservation;
  *   Critical reflections on the diversity of values of nature agenda within
biodiversity conservation;
  *   Reflections on new interlinkages between conservation, capitalism and
value;
  *   Theoretical and empirical work using value to explore: a) alternative
ways of living with nature, b) struggles and conflicts within conservation;
  *   General reflections on current debates on value and nature to think about
protection and living with nature.

Please submit your paper proposal no later than 12th December 2023. We will let
you know of acceptance by the 14th December. Final submission to the conference
organizers is on 15th December. Please send a 250-300 word proposal, with
title, contact information, and three keywords as a Word attachment to
marco.immovi...@wur.nl<mailto:marco.immovi...@wur.nl>.