-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steven Bernstein
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 10:58 AM
To: gep-ed@listserve1.allegheny.edu
Cc: Bruyninckx, Hans
Subject: Re: discourse analysis

These suggestions are not from global environmental politics, but are
about the best I've seen on "how to" do discourse analysis. Perhaps
you've already gone this literature?  Anyway, hope they help.

Jennifer Milliken has readable piece in European Journal of International
Relations:  "The Study of Discourse in Itnernational Relations: A Critique
of Research and Methods," EJIR 5 (2) (1999), 225-254.

Norman Fairclough (2001), "Critical Discourse Analysis as a Method in
Social Scientific Research," in Ruth Wodak and Michael Meyer, eds.,
"Methods of Critical Discourse Analysis" (London: Sage), 121-138.

You should also try to get a hold of the newsletters from APSA's new
qualitative methods section.  The second newsletter had a symposium on
Discourse and Content Analysis.  "Qualitative Method" 2 (1), 15-40.  It's
quite good.

You might also look at Roxanne Lynn-Doty (1993), "Foreign Policy as Social
Construct," ISQ 37 (3), 297-320, which has a nice section on the method
she uses, rooted in discourse analysis.

Cheers,
Steven

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Raul Pacheco wrote:

> Hello Hans,
>
> Here are some recommendations for discourse analysis work.
>
> I don't know if you have heard of the work of Angela Oels. I met her at
the
> Global Environmental Change conference in Berlin in 2001. Her website is
>
> http://www.angelaoels.de/
>
> Circa 2001 she was using discourse analysis, maybe she still does. You may
> want to contact her.
>
> You've probably heard of Hajer's work on discourse analysis. I came across
> this a few weeks ago (I am also interested in discourse analysis)

http://www.essex.ac.uk/ecpr/publications/eps/onlineissues/autumn2002/researc
h/mottier.htm

> And I don't have my EndNote references here for discourse analysis but you
> can extract Hajer's two main contributions from this paper's bibliography.
>
> http://www.ncl.ac.uk/guru/Working%20Papers/EWP%2028.pdf
>
> Hope this helps,
> R.

Steven Bernstein
Associate Professor
Department of Political Science
University of Toronto
100 St. George St.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  M5S 3G3
Phone: 416-978-3345 (St. George) 905-828-3913 (Mississauga)
Fax: 416-978-5566