Raul,
Here are some recent books as well as some others that address these issues.
Underdal, A. and O. Young, Eds. (2004). Regime Consequences: Methodological Challenges and Research Strategies. London, Kluwer Academic Publishers.
Miles, E. L., A. Underdal, et al., Eds. (2002). Environmental regime effectiveness: confronting theory with evidence. Cambridge, MA, MIT Press.
Young, O. R., Ed. (1999). Effectiveness of international environmental regimes: causal connections and behavioral mechanisms. Cambridge, MA, MIT Press.
Wettestad, J. (1999). Designing effective environmental regimes: the key conditions. Cheltenham, UK, Edward Elgar Publishing Company.
Victor, D. G., K. Raustiala, et al., Eds. (1998). The implementation and effectiveness of international environmental commitments. Cambridge, MA, MIT Press.
Brown Weiss, E. and H. K. Jacobson, Eds. (1998). Engaging countries: strengthening compliance with international environmental accords. Cambridge, MA, MIT Press.

And if you need some online things, look at Vol. 3, Issue 3 - August 2003 of Global Environmental Politics which has a nice dialogue on some of these issues
The Oslo-Potsdam Solution to Measuring Regime Effectiveness: Critique, Response, and the Road Ahead
Jon Hovi, Detlef F. Sprinz and Arild Underdal
Commentary
Determining Regime Effectiveness: A Commentary on the Oslo-Potsdam Solution
Oran R. Young
Regime Effectiveness and the Oslo-Potsdam Solution: A Rejoinder to Oran Young
Jon Hovi, Detlef F. Sprinz and Arild Underdal

You may find others on my IEP course website at: http://www.uoregon.edu/~rmitchel/iep/
Best,
Ron