Hi Rob!

It is a good question/challenge.  I agree with you: the 60s/70s exemplars can
be somewhat stale.

On the other hand: that's part of the point, too.  The Dos Santos, Frank,
Rodney, Amin, Valenzuela/Valenzuela style arguments need to be understood
historiographically (i.e., responses to the modernization/developmentalist
types); and they morphed/mutated/evolved into the dependent development
approaches and, more recently, globalization's discontents.

But your point is still a good one: the need to give students contemporary
presentations of the arguments.

One reading that is explicit in its structuralism is Robert Went's
Globalisation: Neoliberal Challenge, Radical Responses (Pluto, 2000).   It is
excerpted as "Globalization Under Fire" in Goddard, Cronin & Dash, eds.,
International Political Economy: State-Market Relations in a Changing Global
Order (Lynne Rienner, 2003, 2nd ed.)

A second excerpted in the same edited volume is Charles Gore, "The Rise and
Fall of the Washington Consensus as a Paradigm for Developing Countries," World
Development 28:3, 2000, 789-804.  It offers an argument on behalf of a
"Southern Consensus."

I used them last fall, and I think students found them useful.  I'd be curious
to read what others have used.

Best regards,

Greg

********************************
Gregory W. White
Department of Government
Smith College
Northampton, Massachusetts 01063  USA
tel:413-585-3542
fax:413-585-3389

>>> "Robert Darst" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 08/21/05 7:05 PM >>>
Here's a poser: I'm looking for a reasonably contemporary presentation of
structural dependency theory (i.e., the idea that national economic development
is primarily determined by a country's position in the international
distribution of wealth and power) that will be accessible to first-years and
sophomores. I feel silly assigning pieces from the 60s and early 70s--that's
so, like, ANCIENT--yet I haven't come across a clear presentation of this
theory in the anti-globalization literature (though it often lurks in the
background). Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks,
Rob
Assistant Professor of Political Science
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth