I’m working with an undergraduate interested in understanding the differing attitudes/policies towards GMOs in the United States and Europe and she’s hoping to do a comparative project focusing on the US (pro-GMO) and European country X (anti-GMO), but I’m not terribly familiar with the history of the GMO issue in Europe and haven’t been able to advise her on which country would fit the bill (and she has been unable to find much country-specific information on GMO politics in Europe).  I realize that a US-EU comparison would probably work better, but the student is an environmental studies major with little knowledge of the EU and is hoping to find a country within the EU who has been a pusher for the GMO ban all along (so that EU pressures can just drop out of her analysis….).

So my question is – who have been the big pusher countries for anti-GMO policies in the EU – and are there any country specific studies out there that would help this student with her comparative project?  Any suggestions on countries or sources would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jane Dawson