Nice statement, Angus.

Also being active in this area, I would add only that given the nature
of today's industrial food systems, considerations of local economy
should be added to the agroecological paradigm. When I moved to
southeastern Pennsylvania five years ago, I was shocked at the advanced
development of the local agroecological market. Virtually every type of
meat and climate-appropriate fruit and vegetable is grown here by local,
small-scale, ecologically sensitive farmers, and sold in local
community-based farmers markets. I know the farmers market phenomenon is
a huge and growing trend in the U.S., but what surprised me here was the
combination of near-complete coverage of unprocessed food types and the
explicit focus not just of individual farmers, but of the entire
"market" or "industry" on the benefits that accrue to the local economy
(and thereby return to the agroecological systems in place). Having
moved here from Florida's central east coast, where there were literally
no farmers markets, much less locally grown organic and/or sustainably
farmed meats or veggies, this was an eye-opener.

So my sense of the ideal paradigm, for what it's worth, is a combination
of agroecological and local economic (or ecological economic) as a
combined and most fully realized response to the industrial food system.

And I concur with Angus's closing point that this is a very different
view than that driven by animal rights considerations.

Cheers,

Rich

--

Richard L. Wallace, Ph.D.