Hi Rob,

Please see the announcement from AASHE, below, of possible interest for your course. I've used a related text, also from MIT Press, Greening the Ivory Tower, by Sarah Creighton, in one of my classes; very helpful. Good luck!

Kind regards,
David Sonnenfeld

***

Sustainability Across the Curriculum Leadership Workshops

AASHE's Sustainability Across the Curriculum Leadership workshops are for faculty leaders of all disciplines who wish to develop curriculum change programs around sustainability on their campuses.

Through an intensive two days of presentations, exercises, discussions, reflection, and planning, participants will become familiar with the philosophy of change in higher education developed through the Ponderosa Project at Northern Arizona University and adapted at Emory in the Piedmont Project. Participants will also experience a range of workshop strategies, hear local experts, enjoy outdoor place-based activities, and dialogue with faculty from around the country as they gain help in adapting this model to their own campus. In a supportive and stimulating environment, workshop members will reflect on their own roles in the transformation of higher education. Readings and materials will also be provided.

These highly successful workshops are led by Geoffrey Chase of San Diego State University and Peggy Barlett of Emory University. Peggy and Geoff are editors of Sustainability on Campus: Stories and Strategies for Change, published by MIT Press in 2004. Peggy and Geoff have many years of experience leading these kinds of workshops and have helped more than 200 faculty on several campuses revise courses in a wide array of disciplines.

Comments from past attendees:

  • Hit the nail on the head!
  • This was way better than I anticipated. It helped to revitalize and refocus my efforts.
  • The pacing kept us awake, engaged and having fun.
  • One of the best workshops I have ever attended.
  • Excellent!! Well worth my time. Thank you.
  • The workshop provided all that I expected to get and a chance to talk with so many interesting folks about ideas and programs.
  • Thanks for very pleasant educational experience!!!
  • This is a wonderful workshop that should be offered every year. The organization of the workshop was fantastic.

Workshop tuition is $350 for AASHE members and $390 for non-members. Tuition covers snacks and lunches on both days of the workshop, handouts, materials, and an evening reception on the first day of the workshop.

Upcoming Workshops

July 12-13 (Thurs-Fri), 2007
San Diego State University, CA

Application Process: To apply, please email a completed application to AASHE Associate Director Julian Dautremont-Smith at [EMAIL PROTECTED] by May 18, 2007. Payment will be worked out after the selection committee has had a chance to review all of the applications. Please do not book flights or your room until your application has been accepted.

Previous Workshops

January 11-12 2007 - Emory University
July 20-21 2006 - San Diego State University
January 5-6 2006 - Emory University