This won't answer your question but a recent paper we published in Energy Policy might bolster the case for civil society activism as a key factor in American society's refusal to let national elite politics govern the issue.

The paper can be found at:

http://ceep.udel.edu/energy/publications/documents/2007_es_EP_American_policy_conflict_in%20the%20greenhouse_Byrne%20et%20al.pdf?_encoding=UTF8

I would like to draw your attention to our estimate of carbon effects of non-federal policy initiatives (at p. 4565 of the article).

Regards, John

John Byrne, Director and        Phone:  (302) 831-8405
   Distinguished Professor of
   Public Policy                FAX:    (302) 831-3098
Center for
 Energy & Environmental Policy      E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of Delaware Newark, DE 19716-7301 USA Website:http://www.ceep.udel.edu