Folks,

I posted my inquiry of earlier today about The Great Global Warming Swindle to the "NEES" list (a collection of EScience types, principally in the northeast) as well. This reply just came back, which I thought would be of interest to some looking for teaching materials.

Best wishes,
Mike Maniates

Date:         Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:19:34 -0400
Sender: "North East Environmental Studies Group" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Greg Howard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [NEES] The Great Global Warming Swindle
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

hi all,

I've responsed to Mike off-list, but I wanted to share one somewhat
relevant reference I've really enjoyed, and which has broadly
applicable educational value.

Naomi Oreskes, a philosopher of science at UCSD, has written a nice
book chapter called "The Scientific Consensus on Climate Change: How
Do We Know We're Not Wrong?"  She does a good job of summing up the
data on the "controversy" over climate change.  More broadly, though,
she speaks to the scientific method, what we mean by "theory", and the
nature of evidence and proof.  It's a great overview of scientific
understanding in general.

The question of how certain we are of our scientific conclusions, and
particularly how certain we need to be before we make change, is
extremely relevant to those of us in public health (I recognize that I
might be the only one on this list!).  Obvious examples include
tobacco, PCBs, and lead.  But similar questions come up all the time
in any policy discussion, including environmental protection and
sustainability.

At least for the moment, the whole chapter is available online at
https://ametsoc.org/atmospolicy/documents/Chapter4.pdf

It's part of Climate Change: What It Means for Us, Our Children, and
Our Grandchildren, edited by Joseph F. C. DiMento and Pamela M.
Doughman, MIT Press, 2007.

best,

greg

--

Gregory Howard, MPH  /  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Department of Environmental Health