Hi everyone,

Jennifer Bailey and I are organizing a panel on environmentalism and
opposition, and we would like to invite you if you are interested in the
general ideas.  If you are interested please respond off list directly to me.

Right now this is our panel synopsis:

"Tree-huggers, Misanthropes and Terrorists:  (Mis)Representing the
Environmental Movement in the Public Sphere"

At a time when the realities of global warming and the limits of the
seas and food production are being broadly acknowledged,
environmentalists continue to be dismissed as sentimental, irrational
and emotional.  Instead of taking seriously the need to rethink the
relationship between humans and the non-human world, many "solutions" to
environmental crises embrace their drivers:  technology, development,
scientism, and modernist extraction.  This panel explores the strategies
used to dismiss alternative views of the environment and their
messengers, and it will offer consideration to major innovative thinkers
like Bruno Latour and Ulrich Beck on the ideas of constructing a
democratic discourse.

in peace,

Peter

Peter J. Jacques, Ph.D.