A further twist to the IP issue.... There was an instance a few years ago
where a student kicked up a fuss about having his/her work submitted to
Turnitin. As I recall, the argument was that, because all submitted work
becomes part of the database that Turnitin checks new submissions against,
and because Turnitin¹s commercial success partly depends on having as large
a database as possible, the student¹s intellectual property (assuming that
he/she actually wrote the essay!) was being used for someone else¹s profit,
without consent or compensation.

Andrew

Andrew Biro
Dept of Political Science