  From: Andrew Biro
  To: Michael Maniates ; gep-ed@listserve1.allegheny.edu
  Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 3:15 PM
  Subject: Re: thesis and dissertation "writing" -- noted without comment

  A further twist to the IP issue.... There was an instance a few years ago
where a student kicked up a fuss about having his/her work submitted to
Turnitin. As I recall, the argument was that, because all submitted work
becomes part of the database that Turnitin checks new submissions against, and
because Turnitin's commercial success partly depends on having as large a
database as possible, the student's intellectual property (assuming that he/she
actually wrote the essay!) was being used for someone else's profit, without
consent or compensation.

  Andrew

  Andrew Biro
  Dept of Political Science