From: owner-gep...@listserve1.allegheny.edu
[owner-gep...@listserve1.allegheny.edu] On Behalf Of Beth DeSombre
[edeso...@wellesley.edu]
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 2:20 PM
To: gep-ed@listserve1.allegheny.edu
Subject: NGO readings?

For a course I teach on environmental policy (not exclusively international --
it's also comparative and U.S.) I want a week on NGO groups and am looking for
suggestions for readings. (Yes, I have the Betsill/Corell book and will
probably be using parts of that).

I'm particularly looking for readings on the various types of roles that NGOs
and activist groups can play -- from the helpful to the recalictrant -- and I'd
love to find something that talks about the potentially advantages of extremist
groups to change the boundaries of what might be considered acceptable. (i.e.
the mainstream might not every agree that their tactics or even goals are
reasonable, but by being so unreasonable they make what might have previously
seemed a bit radical appear mainstream in comparison).

And I always like sources that come from different perspectives, disagree with
each other, etc.

Anyone have sources to suggest?  (I'll compile a list a report.)

Thanks,
Beth