Hello GEPers,

As someone who has studied and written about climate skepticism, there
are many strands in this discussion I would like to pick up on.

I will start with whether or not skepticism is "almost exclusively a
global North position."

As I wrote in the 2005 “Democracy, Technocracy and US Climate
Politics” article Peter Jacques cited, no other countries dispose of a
similarly large body of contrarians. However, I think it is important
to stress:

(1)  We don’t know enough about most national contexts. This is partly
because there are surprisingly few studies focused on this topic,
especially outside of US and Europe. STS research is overwhelmingly
focused on the most industrialized countries. Anthropology and
sociology, as disciplines, have engaged with climate change timidly,
and have a lot of work to do yet. Knowledge politics – the upstream
production of scientific knowledge and the downstream uses of it – are
understudied in this area, despite calls for such studies in both
fields. This is a longer discussion that I won’t go into here. Suffice
it to say that our disciplinary traditions and the institutional
structures in which they flourish (universities) are part of the
problem.

(2)  There may be more skepticism than we know of outside of the
“global North.” It is important to recognize that science tends to be
scrutinized the more economic interests are at stake. As long as
countries do not have binding commitments under the Kyoto Protocol nor
other types of commitments to reduce greenhouse gas emissions,
skeptical views that *may* exist inside such countries – or outside,
for that matter – are less likely to be expressed and/or receive a lot
of attention domestically. Some non-Annex 1 countries in the UNFCCC
process may even have economic interests in belief in climate change,
at least as long as they are not being pressured to reduce their own
emissions and might receive funding and other benefits through the
Clean Development Mechanisms and other similar schemes that have
emerged out of efforts to reduce global emissions.

Like Dunlap, Jacques, and others, I have analyzed the structural
reasons for climate skepticism. I will include references to some of
this work below. As an anthropologist, I have focused relatively more
on the role of culture and value-related differences in structuring
the differences among scientists involved in US climate- and climate
science politics. Some of this work may interest those of you who have
expressed interest in those dimensions on this discussion list and/or
who teach about the subject. For instance, in the 2008 article titled
“Experiences of Modernity in the Greenhouse”, I analyze a subgroup of
US contrarian physicists supporting the Conservative backlash against
global warming, concluding that their engagements are best understood
through a variety of non-determining but contributing factors that
reflect tensions related to transformations in US science and society
since the Second World War.

The March 29 New York Times article on Dyson served to support key
elements of this analysis. So did the Brazilian Brazilian incident
that Dale Jamieson referred to in his contribution to this discussion
today, an incident which was provoked by a contrarian publication in
the prominent Brazilian newspaper Folha de Sao Paulo. The incident
revealed the global dissemination and use of US climate contrarianism
and their proponents; as his scientific authority, the Brazilian
invoked US contrarians Fred Seitz and Bill Nierenberg – two of the
physicists I analyze in the 2008 article. It also revealed the
transnational dimension of skepticism; the person who wrote the
contrarian piece in the Folha de Sao Paulo shared not only the
rhetoric and values of US skeptics, but also an important part of the
traits that I argue – in conjunction with other factors - explain the
US physicists’ engagements.

For the record, the prestige of the person who wrote the contrarian
piece in the Folha de Sao Paulo is debatable. He is a former rector of
the esteemed University of Brasilia. However, he is not a climate
expert and he gained his rector position due to his alignment with the
military dictatorship, which he actively served in that position,
according to accounts I have gathered. For those reasons and others,
he is also not a credible person in many circles. His arguments
reflect deep ignorance about central things, including what the IPCC
really does, and he explicitly associates environmentalism with
Nazism. When I published a response to his piece in the same newspaper
a few months back, his response was a rabid personal attack in which
he called me a Nazist. His background, style and other features thus
limit both his impact and his prestige. Still, writing in such a
prominent newspaper will have some effects, and Dale apparently saw
evidence to that effect. It would be interesting to chart who picks up
on his arguments and authority, and who does not.  It will also be
interesting to watch whether Brazilian skepticism – up to the present
extremely limited in extent – will begin to grow. The past few years
have seen a few skeptical voices appear, on a few occasions, but their
influence and public display has been extremely limited thus far.
However, it behooves us to study the particularities of different
contexts – my bet is that the particularities make for important
differences in the shape of climate politics in different countries.

To end, I would like to second another strand of this conversation:
the need to improve public understandings of both the strengths and
limits of science (see my 2005 article for a longer discussion related
to that). It may even be a good place to start the kind of
“conditioning” that helps reduce the common point-counter-point kind
of non-productive discussion Jacques mentions. It might also be a less
immediately ideological starting point through which to impress
publics about the importance of democratic politics, debate, and
finding wise ways of addressing the risks despite uncertainties in our
present knowledge.

Myanna

Myanna Lahsen,
Associate Researcher
Center for Earth System Science,
The National Institute for Space Research (INPE),
Av. dos Astronautas, 1.758 - Jd. Granja
São José dos Campos, SP 12227-010 Brazil
Telephone: Direct tel. number: +55 12 3945-7133; Secretary +55 12 3945
7126 / 3945-7127
Fax: +55 12 3945-7126

Lahsen, Myanna. “Experiences of Modernity in the Greenhouse: A
Cultural Analysis of a Physicist ‘Trio’ Supporting the Conservative
Backlash Against Global Warming.” Global Environmental Change 18(1),
2008, pp. 205-219.

Lahsen, Myanna. “Technocracy, Democracy and U.S. Climate Science
Politics: The Need for Demarcations.” Science, Technology, and Human
Values, 30(1), 137-169, 2005.

Lahsen, Myanna. “Seductive Simulations: Uncertainty Distribution
Around Climate Models.” Social Studies of Science 2005 35, 895-922.

Lahsen, Myanna. “Transnational Locals: Brazilian Scientists in the
Climate Regime.” Book chapter in Earthly Politics: Local and Global in
Environmental Politics, edited by Sheila Jasanoff and Marybeth
Long-Martello (MIT Press, 2004).

Lahsen, Myanna. “The Detection and Attribution of Conspiracies: The
Controversy Over Chapter 8” in George E. Marcus (ed.), Paranoia Within
Reason: A Casebook on Conspiracy as Explanation, U. of Chicago Press,
1999. Available at:
http://sciencepolicy.colorado.edu/admin/publication_files/resource-1893-1999.21.pdf