Title: "The Age of Stupid" Premiers
Did anyone besides myself see the film tonight?  If so, what did you think?

From: owner-gep...@listserve1.allegheny.edu on behalf of rldavis
Sent: Sat 9/12/2009 4:48 PM
To: NEES List; Global Environmental Education
Cc: Monique Bosch
Subject: "The Age of Stupid" Premiers

Hi all-forgive me for cross posting. I wanted to bring the premier of a very important film to you attention. I was fortunate enough to see The Age of Stupid at a special showing for the attendees of the Climate Project’s Nashville Summit in March. At that time, it had only been released in the UK. It is a provocative, powerful, plausible, and disturbing film set in a post global warming world of 2055. From that perspective, it looks back at our own time, the “age of stupid” and chronicles 6 highly plausible (in fact, I see most of them actually going on now) stories that are interwoven to show how we got to a destroyed world. It is beautifully acted with Pete Postlethwaite as the principle and the production is excellent. About 20% fiction and 80% documentary. Here is the “blurb” from the web site:

The Age of Stupid is the new four-year epic from McLibel director Franny Armstrong. Oscar-nominated Pete Postlethwaite stars as a man living alone in the devastated world of 2055, looking at old footage from 2008 and asking: why didn’t we stop climate change when we had the chance? MORE

This will be premiered at a special showing at 400 theaters in North America on Monday 21 September at 7:30 eastern (6:30 central, etc.). I will be urging my own students to attend and I urge you to bring it to the attention of your students, friends, colleagues. You can get further information on both the film at the premier at the following web site: http://www.ageofstupid.net/screenings/country/United%20States the actual web site for the film (there is a link on the previous web site) is www.ageofstudpid.net. This site also talks about where to see the premier in 149 other countries around the world.

For a review of the film from the Sydney Herald (it premiered in Aust and NZ in late August) go to http://www.ageofstupid.net/review/the_age_of_stupid_movie_review.

Larry Davis

R. Laurence Davis, Ph.D.
Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences and
University Research Scholar
Department of Biology and Environmental Sciences
University of New Haven
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, Connecticut 06516
<rlda...@newhaven.edu>
Office: 203-932-7108    Fax: 203-931-6097