I did see it, and have to confess that I was disappointed. A heart-felt and
sincere efort, but, in my view, not successful. Despite some brilliant pieces
and insights, there were a lot of problems. Too many loose ends and points made
vaguely or imprecisely. Too many questions embedded in the basic narrative
(How's that guy providing the energy and maintenance for all those massive
computers as humanity nearly vanishes and society has collapsed? Or didn't the
filmmakers just love all too much that fancy computer wizardry as a way of
telling a story, so, what the hell with the basic narrative underpinning?) How
about telling us the real story of the long conflict in the Nigerian Delta
region?  And, by the by, why did that bright young lady decide she was going to
be famous instead of becoming a doctor--maybe because she was seeing herself
depicted on film and having those good times with the film makers--a problem of
the observed being changed by the observor, perhaps? And, ho!
 w about pointing out that the Delta region itself is likely to be an early
victim of sea level rise? And, similarly, throughout the film, just a lot of
things that are not well carried through nor adequately explored.

And, in forty years of activism and teaching, if there is one thing that I
think I have learned it is that you are not likely to get very far with people
by calling them stupid. No better way to close a mind than that. Or invite
irritated counter-arguments that are likely to be beside the point but that
assert a will and intelligence on the part of the one called stupid.

For me, one of the most important and well-done segments was the one on NIMBY
and wind farms in England. This one was well-framed and beautifully told in a
way that at least should have an impact. One felt that the film-makers were
more assured and competent on their home ground.

As an example of organizing, it didn't seem well-organized--there was virtually
no local publicity and the theater was near empty in Sacramento, and clearly
with the already deeply converted. The Hollywood premier imitation was cheesey
and distracting. And, rather than simply having an academic tell us that mass
organizing was a good idea, or in addition to that, actually telling us about
some of the many examples of effective organizing that are going on?

It seems to me that An Inconvenient Truth remains a much better film whether
one is looking for accuracy or impact.

I would be interested in reading what others think.

Angus

Angus Wright
Professor Emeritus of Environmental Studies
California State University, Sacramento