Ok. I think I might have a mite problem. I know it's not fleas. I've
seen fleas, and these are too tiny and not black to be fleas. I don't
notice my gerbils being overly itchy, but I have noticed, when
sitting reading a book, or going over papers, these very VERY tiny
brown insects crawling around. I can only see them against paper,
they seem to be no bigger than the head of a pin. And I only ever see
one at a time.

Are these mites? Or do I have a different problem entirely?

If these are mites, what the heck can I do??

I've noticed myself every now and then I'll get a little itch, and at
first I thought it was just the heat (we have limited AC in our
house, but it never gets hotter than 80 degrees in here). But now I'm
wondering if these tiny bugs are the cause of it all. I hadn't really
thought much of it. We sleep with the windows open at night, screened
of course. I thought maybe they were just some tiny critter, like
those lovely red fellows my mom always called wood or rock mites.

I'm open for suggestions!

Thanks for the help.

-Jackie & The Copper Dragon Clan