Gerbil tears have a reddish substance in it, if I recall correctly it's
some sort of antibacterial stuff ... or something like that.  Anyway he
probably just got a little something in his eye and it teared up to wash
it out.  Unless it keeps happening I wouldn't worry about it.  If it
does keep happening maybe it's an allergy, and I'd switch bedding.