Thanks to all who posted the sweet little stories about their gerbs,
they gave me a much needed smile.  Earlier today I had to have our 3 1/2
year old Rascal put to sleep.  Poor thing seemed to have not only an ear
infection, but probably a malignant middle ear tumor.  We tried for
weeks to clear it up, including two trips to the vet and medicine that
he hated, but it just kept getting worse.  Finally I knew it was no use
and I didn't want him to die slowly and painfully just because it was
hard for me to let him go.  He is at peace now and no more pain.  It's
going to take me a long time to get over this one, though. :(

Nearly all the gerbils I have are descended from Rascal and his deceased
mate Miss Piggy.  Our clan name, The Little Rascals, is derived partly
from his name and partly from the mischievous nature of gerbils!  He was
a great-grandfather.  I remember when I first got him and put him into a
split cage with Miss Piggy, he took matters into his own paws and chewed
through the barrier (I was new to that and didn't do a good job).
Fortunately they got along well.

Rascal is one of the only gerbils I've had that really enjoyed being
petted, sometimes anyway.  Most of mine have all been too hyper for
that, but when he was in a relaxed, sleepy mood, I could pet and pet him
and he'd just stretch out and enjoy it.  Just had to catch him in the
right mood!  :)  His son Sherlock, who carried on the line, was watching
this once when he was a pup, and apparently decided it looked
interesting.  He snuggled up to Rascal, and stretched his little head
out right next to his father's so when I petted Rascal, he got petted
too.  Sherlock won my heart right then and there!  Rascal was a good
"dad" and passed on a lot of good personality traits.

Rascal had survived two earlier ear tumors (those were on the outside
where we could get to them) and a scent gland tumor.  His cagemate
Pookie seems a bit bewildered right now.  I'll have to keep an eye on
him.  If he seems depressed I plan to hunt down two male pups to put
with him.  He is over 3 himself so I'd want to get two, that way they'd
have each other when he passes on.

--
Tana and The Little Rascals
http://members.home.net/tlr-gerbilry