Thank you for sharing your pain,  I know how you feel,  I had a
hamster Hammy,  and this is like close to 15 years ago,  but she was
hand fed,  and well a real sweet heart.  I use to bring her up in to
the bed room of the condo I was living in and let her just run around.
Laying in bed watching TV you would see this little lump under the
sheets,  a head would pop out and she would just sit there on my chest
staring at me.  Her cage was on the first floor,  one night, she got
out, I kept hearing this noise,  at first I thought it was snow
sliding off the roof,  finally I bought my foot done and this little
furry thing ran across it,  I picked it up, and thought,  I hope this
is my hamster.  Of course she was looking for food,  cause I would
always hand feed her in the bedroom,  she was always so cute with her
full pouches.  Well she was one in a million rodents that is for sure.
She died when she was 3,  one night she was acting funny,  and dang if
she did not die in my hands when I was holding her,  she nestled up to
me shuddered a couple of times and was gone.  So here I am a 30 year
old male balling my eyes out over this little hamster.  And the fact
that she had to hold out, till I picked her up,  she knew, and I
believed she held out to say goodbye,  people always think I am nuts
telling them that,  but she knew.

Just wanted to share.