Hello list,
    I have just a quick question regarding my gerbils chewing -- as far as
WHAT is okay for them to chew on and what is NOT OKAY or might be
potentially harmful for them. I was just outside and checking out that there
are a lot of sticks out there and wondered if it is okay to let them chew on
a "regular" outdoor stick, as opposed to the sterile stuff we buy at the pet
store. Maybe it's a stupid question, I don't know... I just am afraid to
give them the "outdoor stick" until I am sure, especially since it smells of
pitch and I don't want to hurt my little darlings.

Sticks from the ground are NOT good at all.  They can be dirty,
full of insects, and other things.

Best sticks to *gather* (with permission if needed) are apple and
pear wood, from trees that haven't been sprayed for bugs or what
have you.

I often find in spring here, we get snows about the time the trees
start to leaf and bloom, and there are numerous fruit trees that
will get broken and need trimming or cutting down.  I will go
around and ASK the neighbors to cut sticks about an inch
or so (around 3 cm) thick and about 3-4" (8-10 cm) long, and
peel the bark.  I stick them into a baggie and freeze them,
unpeeled until I want to give them, then take a few out, thaw,
peel, and offer.  This last spring gave me a bonanza of sticks,
that I got for helping to chop up the trimmings off the trees.

Pine and other conifers are too 'sticky' with resins and
too aromatic.  The smell can cause respiratory problems.

Deb
Rebel's Rodent Ranch