>also has a hole about the size of a quarter at the
>bottom. For a temp. fix could I tape cardboard or a
>piece of manila folder to cover the hole?

Use a coin bigger than the hole.  I got a LOT of
used 15 gallon aquariums that had a hole drilled
center bottom for an overflow to a main sump and
filter system.  The hole was about dime sized, so
I would tape a penny with box tape over it, until I
could cut and solder in a replacement made of
glass (I do stained glass...and use lead-free
solder to put the piece in)  Tape the coin on top...
bottom means they will gnaw at the glass and
that's bad.  Worse than if they ingest a little tape.

>And for a
>more permanant one, should I buy a piece of glass and
>glue it? I'm concerned about the gerbils hurting
>themselves.. It's a hole and well.. they're gerbils.
>*g*

Glass will work...get it from a glass shop and have
them smooth the sharp edges off first.  Use silicone
(in this case buy a small tube of the aquarium repair
stuff) to cement it over the bottom on the inside...I
would have the piece about 1/4" smaller than the inside
bottom (to leave 1/8" all the way around) and have
them round the corners a little too.

>with it. If you add more, it's very amusing to see a
>little black gerbil hopping around with a tissue
>dragging from his mouth.

It's about on a par with a dwarf campbell hamster with
a full sheet of toilet tissue trying to drag this thing
around... <g>  Nice image, thanks. :)

Deb
Rebel's Rodent Ranch