On 24/10/2012 17:17, John Crisp wrote:
In the Search section with the plugin enabled if I right click Play and
copy the link, or click to open it, the URL is as follows :

http://my.server.net/iplayer/get_iplayer.cgi?ACTION=playlist&SEARCHFIELDS=pid&SEARCH=b01myl0t&MODES=flashaachigh%2Cflashaacstd%2Cflashaudio%2Cflashhigh%2Cflashstd%2Cflashnormal%2Crealaudio%2Cflashaaclow&PROGTYPES=tv&OUTTYPE=out.flv&STREAMTYPE=&BITRATE=&VSIZE=&VFR=

With the plugin disabled I get the downloaded file with both Firefox and
Chrome.

The above URL (which is correctly formed for a "Play" link) produces a M3U playlist which, depending on your browser settings, will either be downloaded as file or launched directly by a configured application or plugin. If your plugin is somehow messing with the links in your browser, that's not nice. I think that is irrelevant, though. If you click a "Play" link in the search results and the result is an M3U playlist containing a correctly-formed URL - which is what you get AFAICT - the web pvr is working correctly.

If I open the downloaded 'get_iplayer.cgi' (which is actually the
palylist) It only show an icon and won't play, but I suspect that it is
down to the following....

This is what you need to investigate. The playlist just contains a URL pointing back to your web pvr. When that URL is accessed by VLC, etc., the web pvr forks get_iplayer to access the stream from the iPlayer site, transcodes it (if default settings on), and pipes the stream back to the client connection managed by Apache. That's why I said you need to check the Apache logs to see what happens when the web pvr attempts to perform that processing. You should also set "verbose 1" in your options file before testing. You need the verbose output to catch authentication errors from the media servers. Several things could go wrong, so until you see the server logs, you can only guess at the cause of your problem.

My guess that the proxy is used for recording, but isn't used for
streaming, would appear to be correct though I am not sure why this
would be the case.

That's not the case. If the proxy option is set, get_iplayer uses it when necessary. As far as proxy use is concerned, there is no difference between recording and streaming.

I have used get_iplayer on the command line to record via my proxy, and
can stream via a normal web browser with a manual proxy connection. I
have done it this way for a while but I thought I would try and use the
web interface so it was all nicely integrated.

I would still have thought that get_iplayer itself when  called via the
cgi would have picked up the proxy from the options regardless but I
presume it is 'selective' when it uses it.

I would bet it does pick up the setting correctly, but it's unrelated to your problem. You still haven't demonstrated the proxy option (or lack thereof) is the reason your "Play" link isn't working.

Any way that the streaming COULD have an option to use a proxy ? I'd
just like to use the web interface for it all !!!!

If you're recording, the output is dumped to a file. If you're streaming (via "Play"), the output is written to a network socket. That's the only real difference. The proxy option is irrelevant to media server access.