Nick Payne wrote:
but if I run iotop in another terminal, I
can see that rtmpdump is running and is still downloading
something...but not to the specified output folder.

Are you certain it's actually downloading and not just simply still running? I don't have a linux install so see exactly how this works but are you certain that it's not only 'active' but also actively downloading content?

I think I remember reading that rtmpdump continues to try to connect after it's lost the stream so it's possible it still shows up.

If I press Ctrl+C to
terminate the download and force flashhd2 download by changing
--tvmode=best to --tvmode=flashhd2, then the download proceeds normally
and completes successfully without any errors indicated.

Is this not a continuation of the issue you previously posted about?

If, as previously, you have problems connecting to the CDN providing the flashhd1 stream then it stands to reason that sometimes it won't just go slowly but completely fail.