From: iz
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 20:44

If you are using OS X, this approach worked for me:

https://dreness.com/blog/archives/843

Just change "dummynet out" to "dummynet in" and change the bandwidth limit to desired value.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I find that incredible. The Mac is sold as a machine which allows creative people to create without having to bother with technicalities. If I search for Linux traffic management or Windows traffic management I can see that there are programs which do that sort of thing, but they are only needed if I want to do clever things like running a heavily loaded server where the load has to be balanced between processes. I have 5 programs open on my task bar and 58 processes. Windows allocates resources between them as they demand them without my even having to think about it, and has been doing a reasonable job of it since Windows 95. Maybe you and David are doing clever things with your machines, but then I don't understand why you would run get_iplayer on the same machine.

My inclination would be to buy a Raspberry Pi and run get_iplayer on that.