On 23/08/16 22:08, RS wrote:
From: Budge Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 13:39

Finally, why is the v2.96 default 960x540 at 50fps? What are benefits?

This is what the v2.96 Release Notes say, "The one lacuna filled by
flash modes is that flashhd mode represents the only alternative to a
broken hlshd mode for 1280x720 25fps HD TV recordings. If the hls modes
are not repaired, and the hvfhd (1280x720 50fps) streams are not viable
for you, now is the time for you to start looking at the hvfsd (960x540
50fps) streams as a replacement. This is what the BBC gives you when you
click "Watch in HD" on the iPlayer site. Who are we to argue?"

As for the BBC, there was an article published about a year ago.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2015-07-the-development-of-new-video-factory-profiles-for-bbc-iplayer

It said, "At around 3 Mbit/s a 960x540 profile at 50fps will be made
available to Connected TVs and set top boxes. The Elemental encoders are
used to convert the 1920x1080 interlaced content to 960x540 for
progressive encoding at 50fps. Although the 960x540 profile has a
reduced spatial resolution compared to the outgoing 1280x720 at 25fps,
subjective assessments shows it delivers significantly better pictures
on TV screens across a wide range of popular content (such as EastEnders
and Top Gear) due to its higher frame rate. The 50fps, 1280x720 profile,
however, will be available to those with 5Mbit/s broadband connections."

I am assuming the reference to Top Gear is the Clarkson Top Gear.  It is
not clear to me from that why it is not possible or desirable to have a
1280x720 25fps mode alongside the 1280x720 50fps and 960x540 50fps modes.

Hi and many thanks. I recall reading some of that in the list but at the time I was still happy with flash and didn't take it in. I am a little wiser thanks to you. It all seems very subjective however and whilst I understand the higher frame rate might be better for action material it might not be optimal for A History of Art in Three Colours and similar documentaries. I shall have to experiment a bit.

On a good day with both lines working I can get 5MB/s. I wonder what will happen when we move to 4K?
Thanks again,
Budge