On 02/09/16 20:23, Larry Yaeger wrote:

I so sincerely wish I could pay the license fee.  I'm an unwilling moocher from the US
that would joyfully be a subscriber if they would only let me.  I've been watching
British telly since it was radio.  I dearly love the Goons.  Actually met Spike Milligan
and Harry Secombe, at a do in Brighton.  And I could go on for pages and pages of the
British programming I've enjoyed over the years.  I buy DVDs over here.  I've bought tons
of PAL VHS tapes and Region 2 DVDs in London over the 40+ years I've been visiting as
often as possible, which required buying multi-standard players.  I would and do happily
"vote with my dollars" for Auntie Beeb, and agree she is the best single source
of television programming on the planet.  I've spent a lot of time in London, including a
year on sabbatical, but I've never managed to actually move there.  Anybody need a strong
computer programmer on that side of the pond? :)

Gadzooks, a fellow Goons fan. Sir, you have excellent taste!

That said, I find the pejorative, condescending tone of some posters about
non-subscribers offensive.  It's corporate and political bureaucracy that
prevents me from paying for my BBC programming, not anything I have control
over.  And if it bothers you that I watch this brilliant programming, well
good.  Suffer.  You're just being a prig, and you deserve the angst.  That's my
2p.

I think the "pejorative comments" were aimed at UK viewers who don't pay, rather than those overseas, such as yourself, who have no option to pay!

Alan