From: Budge Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 18:26

Many thanks. Yes I agree ffmpeg was my first thought but I am spoiled for choice of command options. ffprobe output didn't tell me what I was looking for although that may be due to me not understanding what I was looking at. However I have no doubt ffmpeg will clean things up. I shall try a few options and see what happens.

Thanks for drawing attention to this. I did hope something similar might lead to a solution of the problem I have playing DASH/M4A/AAC files on my AGPtEK A02. I found about a year ago that ffmpeg created files with Major Brand M4A and Minor Version 512, which the AGPtEK player did not seem to like. I used
mp4box  <file>.m4a -brand M4A:0 -out <file1>.m4a
from https://gpac.wp.mines-telecom.fr/mp4box/mp4box-documentation/
to change the Minor Version to 0. I then found I could play the files, but only if they were shorter than 14min at 128kbit/s.

Following your post I have looked at it again. I see that by default mp4box -brand M4A introduces interleaving of 500ms. I tried
mp4box  <file>.m4a -brand M4A:0 -inter 1000 -out <file1>.m4a
to give 1s interleaving and that allowed a 24min file to be played, but the display showed Format error after 15min. I also tried -inter 2000 for 2s interleaving. That again allowed a 24min file to be played but with a Format error after 5min.

mp4box <file> -info
gives a bit more information than ffprobe and ffmpeg. GPAC refers to segments, fragments and interleaving. I am not sure how these relate to what Linn calls chunks.

I have tried running ffmpeg with -acodec copy and with -acodec aac, but that does not seem to help.

artisticforge said Handbrake fixed his files. Handbrake will not convert audio only files. I have seen a workaraound to add dummy video, but that seemed a bit cumbersome. I'll have to give it a try.