Thank you for the suggestion Richard, one of several I have received. Of course I could re code these files and I am sure I would not be able to hear any differences between file formats. These types of argument have been well explained here https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

My problem is I have 450+ of these files and to do the job properly, breaking each work up into acts and scenes etc, naming and tagging the files would take months. I would very much enjoy having the resulting library but do not have the time.

I am also very reluctant to use my time even transcoding in order to prop up a deficiency in a bunch of doubtful proprietary software/firmware which cost me several thousands of pounds rather than have the admitted deficiency to be rectified by Linn. Meanwhile they play beautifully on my RPi.

I understand the issue is probably one of buffering and the buffer size written in the firmware. Linn are aware of the issue but I have no idea when they will fix it. It is possible your problem is similar.

On 18/01/17 12:50, RS wrote:
From: Budge

Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2017 13:11
The issue could be that Linn's player doesn't have enough memory to
read the sample tables from the file's MP4 container, so it refuses
to play the file. If >>so, splitting the file or transcoding to FLAC
are probably the best options.

Breaking up the download into acts would be a huge task and one I
cannot contemplate for more than a couple of favourites and with my
RPi working so well the Linn devices may be destined for ebay!

It seems a bit extreme to throw out the amplifier.  At 320kbit/s can you
tell the difference between AAC  and MP3 in a blind comparison?  You can
convert to MP3 after a download fairly effortlessly using a preset as
described here under Option Presets and Shortcuts and then Custom commands.
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/documentation
It takes about 6% of real time.  If MP3 is not acceptable, as suggested
you could convert to FLAC.

If the Linn player moves seamlessly from one file to the next you could
split it into fixed length files of half an hour or an hour.

What I haven't yet understood, both from the problem you have and the
problem I have, is why it is more difficult for a player to play a long
piece in AAC than in other formats.  I thought this was something
segmentation and fragmentation was supposed to deal with, to facilitate
streaming.