On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 12:49:10PM +0100, Jeremy Nicoll - ml gip wrote:

> When I used to run get_iplayer under Windows, I used to install the
> perl of my choice, then ran
>
>  cpan cpanminus
>
> to install 'cpanminus', then used that to install the perl modules
> that the g_ip documentation said I'd need.
>
> A quick google suggests that under linux one might use one's distro's
> package manager (apt or whatever) to install perl, and cpan, but then
> just use cpan to install perl modules (apparently outwith the control
> of apt or whatever).
>
> How is a perl user supposed to know whether to go to cpan/cpanminus
> route or expect their distro's package manager to deal with this?

Unless you know better, you should use the distribution's package
manager. This applies no matter what you're installing, whether it be
something written in perl, or in python, or it be a video game, or
anything else.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

    I caught myself pulling grey hairs out of my beard.
    I'm definitely not going grey, but I am going vain.