On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 10:16:04AM +0100, RS wrote:

> get_iplayer --pid b01r1vt2 --info
> displays a lot of metadata including longdesc.  That suggests
>
> 1.  Vangelis is right that the online sources for metadata stay there
> for good.
>
> 2.  get_iplayer is able to retrieve metadata even when all streams for a
> programme have ceased to be available.

Stream availability is part of the metadata. Metadata remains behind
even after streams have become unavailable for two reasons. First, so
iPlayer can show you when something was broadcast; second, to cope with
repeats.

And you will find that metadata usually pops into existence *before*
streams become available*. This is partly because metadata for whole
series are often imported at once, and partly because the back-end isn't
just used by iPlayer, it is (or at least, it was back when I was working
on it) also used to provide data to third-party EPGs and other internal
BBC systems.

* the one real exception I can think of is when stuff goes straight to
  iPlayer without being broadcast, such as when Zoo Quest was imported
  from the archive.

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

    If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you're reading it in English, thank Chaucer.