Andreas Beck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > One library that does not use LibGGI and does not know about visuals.
> > It should dynamicly load readers/writers for different image formats,
> > and read images into/write imaghes from it's own simple structure
> > (basicly just width, height, format and a pointer to the data).
>
> Please not. Optionally yes, but don't load images into memory without need.
>
> A callback oriented approach would be much better. I've been bitten by that
> "oh, just put it in memory" concept too many times ...
>
> Adding a few simple "example-callbacks" that render into such a structure or
> a LibGGI visual can give the same ease of use if desired, but without
> straining my swap, if I don't want that.

Sure, we could allow that, as well as just mmap()ing the image if
the format is uncompressed binary.

> > It should also be able to convert images between different formats.
>
> That could be done by chaining a load and a save call appropriately.

Not very good performance wise. You should really be able to do
read-from-memory-into-register, convert, write-to-final-destination
for each pixel (for cases where pixels don't affect eachother that
is).

//Marcus
        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]