Hi Jens,

Ben Gamari (cced) documented it well here: http://bgamari.github.io/posts/2014-03-06-compiling-ghc-7.8-on-arm.html

Looks like the issue is caused by binutils' linker while fixed in gold.

Cheers,
Karel

On 04/ 9/14 10:21 AM, Jens Petersen wrote:
    dll-split: internal error: evacuate(static): strange closure type 0
         (GHC version 7.8.1 for arm_unknown_linux)
         Please report this as a GHC bug:
    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug
    make[1]: *** [compiler/stage2/dll-split.stamp] Aborted

    See http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=6719940 for
    the full build.log, etc.
    I reproduced this two times now. RC2 built okay on ARM so I am not
    sure what changed.

I tested and this also happens on Fedora 20 ARM [1] so I now doubt it
could be due to any recent changes in Fedora devel (Rawhide).
I filed <https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8976>.

Anyway I suppose it may be too late to fix for the 7.8.1 release but
hopefully soon for 7.8.2.

Jens

[1] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=6720188