On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 6:18 PM, Johan Tibell <johan.tib...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe other compilers, e.g. GCC, ship debug symbols in separate files (
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/libc-dbg
>
> ) that e.g. GDB can then look up.

Lookaside debugging information is (a) a Linux-ism, although possibly also
included in mingw --- but not OS X or the *BSDs (b) on RPM-based systems at
least, is split out of objects into separate files, and thence into debug
packages, by the standard RPM support macros before the standard strip step
(I expect debuild does something similar on Debian-ish systems).

allber...@gmail.com                                  ballb...@sinenomine.net