I've been building the RTS with debug symbols for our internal GHC build at FB, because it makes investigating problems a lot easier. I should probably upstream this patch.

Shipping libraries with debug symbols should be fine, as long as they can be stripped - Peter, does stripping remove everything that -g creates?

Cheers,
Simon