On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 02:53:42PM -0000, Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:
> Why should English be treated differently than any other language?
> Let's just add an English catalog to the default installation and
> the user will not see any difference.

There is already a catalog (en_GB) for British users of English who
prefer to keep the OED spellings, rather than surrender to the
alternate (but more common) American US spellings.

I don't think any of us take it seriously (I often don't remember to
set up i18n for ages after building a new system) because we've
come to accept that something very *like* English will eventually
be written by everyone, no matter how they spell colour, or what
they call petrol and nappies. (*)

Anyway, expecting everyone to support translation catalogs just so
that you can hack around bizarre grammatical features in some
languages is a bit much. Instead try re-writing the code if you
can, so that it uses separate phrases in each case.

(*) Even in Japan, convergence is happening, although since it's
in a foreign alphabet that's not as helpful as it might be.

Nick.