Hi,

a lot of ideas and comments about the problems we have with
gettext have appeared in this thread (among them a few nice
ones), but I want you to recognize that we will stay with
gettext until something better is developed. It makes no sense
to create a gimp-specific solution to a problem all larger
GNU apps are facing and for 1.2 it's definitely too late for
any changes in this area at all.

So I suggest you search the web if there are people already
working on this or you start a new project to create the
ultimate solution to all problems gettext has. We will be very
glad to use this for the next major version of The GIMP.

Salut, Sven

PS: In the meantime there's still lots of work to do for the
translators. Check this: http://sven.gimp.org/1.1/i18n.html